Упражнения для самостоятельной работы
Передайте смысл нижеследующих предложений , используя подходящий по смыслу модальный глагол
1.I advise you to stop being late for talks . You ___stop being late for talks .
2. I insist that you supervise day-to-day management .You ___ supervise day-to-day management.
3. Will you let me talk to Mr Green, please ? ___ I talk to Mr Green , please ?
4. They understand you well enough . You ___not repeat it again .
5. Talking is not allowed during the talks . You ____ not talk during the talks.
6. It is not possible for the manager to be present at the talks . He ___ not be present at the talks.
7. The personnel is forbidden to leave the workplace before 6 p.m. The personnel ___ to leave the workplace before 6 p.m.
8. It is not right to take up this matter without the Sales Manager . You ___ take up this matter without the Sales Manager.
9. Perhaps , the accountant will agree to do this job. The accountant ___ agree to do this job .
10. She is obliged to report to the Director every week. She ___ report to the Director every week .
Упражнение № 2
Выберите правильную форму глагола Present Continuous или Future Simple
1. When will he go on business? -He will go / is going next Monday.
2. Who will make a report ? - I think, I will make / am making it.
3. Who will have a holiday in June ?-Probably , Kate will have /is having it.
4. When will she translate their order ? - We suppose , she will translate / is translating it in two days .
6. When will he finish his work ?- He will finish / is finishing it tomorrow morning.
7. When will you report to the Finance Department ? -1 am reporting / will report this Tuesday.
8. When will he take up our offer ?-He will take it up /is taking it up this afternoon.
9. When will their company reduce the prices ? - They will reduce them / are reducing them this week.
10. Who will be in charge of corporate finance ? - The parent company is being / will be in charge of it.
Упражнение № 3
Раскройте скобки, употребив глагол в нужной форме. Выберите правильную форму глагола Present Simple или Future Simple
1. If you (reduce) your price, we (place) a big order with your company.
2. When the secretary (type) the letters, she (send) them to the customers.
3. Our prices depend on the market situation. If it (change) they (go up or down).
4. We (start) deliveries as soon as we ( clear up ) delivery dates .
5. They (show) the customer's representatives round the office when the chief engineer (arrive).
6. We (go) to the test department until you (invite) us.
7. Before you (buy) this equipment, you (study) the terms of payment.
8. The engineers (get in touch) with you as soon as they (arrive) in London.
9. If I (need) your help , I (ask) you.
10. The contract (be) valid after the director (sign) it.
Упражнение № 4
Выберите нужную форму прилагательного или наречия.
1. I am busier / more busy than our engineer.
2. Please, speak louder / more louder. I can’t hear you good / well.
3. Their computers are more expensive / the most expensive on the market.
4. They would like to expand e-business later / more late.
5. You should study our terms more attentively / less attentively.
6. Our office is more far / farther than yours.
7. This is the worst / the most bad retailer I have ever seen!
8. Remember, we have more little / less time than we had before.
9. You have to look through the draft contract closely /closer.
10. His accounting skills were not so perfect / perfectly as I expected.
Упражнение № 5
Раскройте скобки , употребив глагол в нужной форме . Выберите правильную форму глагола Past Simple или Past Continuous .
1. When the manager ( arrive ) the secretary ( type ) the contract .
2. The director ( receive ) the customers while the engineers (get through ) the draft
3. At this time yesterday Mr. Brown ( report ) to the Human Resources Department
about the survey results .
4. When we ( deliver ) these goods , Mrs. Grey from the Finance Department ( be in
charge of ) accounting .
5. What you ( take up ) at yesterday’s meeting when I ( phone ) you ?
6. While they ( dispatch ) their products , the Buyers ( ask ) them about urgent
7. The inspectors ( examine) the equipment at the plant from 10 till 12 a.m..last Monday.
8. When a representative of our parent company ( come ) to the talks, we ( discuss ) the
9. While the Research and Development Department ( think over ) the expansion of
e-business, we ( explore ) the e-market .
10. I ( wait for ) the retailer at 5 p.m. yesterday, but he ( not come ).
Упражнение № 6
Выполните упражнение, выбрав правильный вариант.
1. We’ll have lunch after they … discussing the discount matter.
a) are finishing b) finish c) will finish
2. Must he study French as soon as possible? No, she … .
a) mustn’t b) doesn’t c) needn’t
3. We won’t go to the test department until you … us.
a) invite b) don’t invite c) will invite
4. This is … attractive offer I have ever received.
a) the most b) the more c) the less
5. … he go to London? -Yes, he … tomorrow.
a) Is, will leave b) does, is leaving c) will, is leaving
6. They … e-business constantly.
a)are expanding b)were expanding c)expand
7. … she send the order last week? -Yes, she … it last week.
a)does, will send b) did, sent c)will, will sent
8. They train their staff … than we do.
a) better b) best c) good
9. When you …check the equipment ? –We… it in an hour .
a) do , check b) will, will check c)did, checked
10. Don’t ask him to contact Mr Grey . He … to do it as he will be very busy .
a) can’t b) won’t be able c) mustn’t
11. She is a … manager. She does her job very …
a) badly, slow b) bad, slow c) bad , slowly
12. I … get in touch with Mr Bell yesterday , as I was very busy .
a) couldn’t b) mightn’t c) needn’t
13.When you… into the matter ? – Probably, I … it in two days .
a) are looking , am doing b) will look, do c) will look , will do
14. He … as soon as the manager … him instructions.
a) will leave, gives b) leaves, gives c) is leaving, is giving.
15. If you … to his office, he … you all the documents.
a) will go, will give b) go, will give c) goes, gives.
16. If they … to me carefully, they … the idea.
a) don’t listen, won’t understand b) won’t listen, didn’t understand c) doesn’t listen, won’t understand
17. She is … attentive to details than Mr. Petrov.
a) least b) the less c) less
18. Our partners were pleased as we … the goods without any delay.
a) dispatched b) dispatch c) will dispatch
19. Excuse me… I phone you later? – Yes, certainly.
a) may b) must c) need
20. Engineers study new catalogues … .
a) regular b) regularly c) more regular
Контрольная работа №2
Для успешного выполнения контрольной работы вам необходимо проработать следующие разделы грамматики:
1. Past continuous
2. Модальные глаголы
3. Future Simple
4. Сравнительные степени прилагательных и наречий
Задание 1. Выберите правильную форму глагола.
1. When the phone rang, I (answered/ was answering) it.
2. They (are discussing/ were discussing) the terms of payment when Mr. Dunbar arrived.
3. Every day at 8 a.m. the Sales Manager (instructs/ is instructing) the employees.
4. The Sales Manager (is instructing/ was instructing) the employees at 8.10 yesterday.
5. Mr. Jefferson (was looking/ were looking) through the draft contract at 3.30.
6. I (tried/ was trying) to get through to Ms. Churchill from 1 to 2 yesterday.
7. When I saw the manager yesterday, he (was getting/ got) ready for the meeting.
8. When the phone (rang/ was ringing), I (talked/ was talking) to the client.
9. Last week the Managing Director (received/ was receiving) some French businessmen and (was discussing/ discussed) the terms of the future contract with them.
10. The Director is busy now: he (was receiving/ is receiving) the businessmen from France.
Задание 2. Раскройте скобки, употребив глагол в Past Simple или Past Continuous.
1. When Mr. Takashi (arrive), I (have) lunch in the café.
2. The sales Manager (study) the price-lists from 3 till 5 yesterday.
3. Mrs. Kingston (meet) the clients when I (see) her yesterday.
4. Amélie (write) a report, when her boss (ask) her to bring him the catalogue.
5. I (ring) Mr. Stewart from 6 till 7, but I (can/ not) get through.
6. When I (leave), they (discuss) the terms of delivery.
7. You (be) busy yesterday, … you? – Yes, I (translate) all day long.
8. Mr. Rodriguez (study) catalogues at 12 p.m. yesterday.
9. What (you/ do) at 3 p.m.?
10. I (not/ be) in the office at 2 p.m. last Monday, I (have) talks with our suppliers at their plant.
Задание 3. Заполните пропуски глаголами can, can’t, couldn’t, could, was/were able to
1. I like this hotel, you … see the sea from the window.
2. You are speaking very quietly, I … hear you.
3. Nobody disturbed me so I … to finish the work.
4. I wanted to speak to the manger yesterday but I … find him.
5. Paula …come to the meeting last week. She was ill.
6. Sue wasn’t at home when I phoned but I … to contact her in the office.
7. I’m afraid I …go to the party next week.
8. We have plenty of time, we … wait.
9. You look tired. - Yes, I … sleep well last night.
10. They didn't want to buy our goods but we … to persuade them.
Задание 4. Заполните пропуски глаголами must, had to, mustn’t, needn’t , should, shouldn’t
1. Keep these documents in a safe place, you … lose them.
2. We … write the letter now, we can do it tomorrow.
3. I think everybody … learn a foreign language.
4. We have lots of time, we … hurry up.
5. He doesn’t usually work on Saturdays but last Saturday he … work.
6. John is our potential customer. You … meet him.
7. You … tell Marilyn what happened. I don’t want her to know.
8. I … go to the post office, I need some stamps.
9. If this hotel is too expensive for you, you … stay there.
10. I … go to the bank yesterday to get some money.
Задание 5. Выберите правильную форму глагола (Present Simple или Future Simple)
1. I wait/will wait here until you come/will come.
2. I go/will go home when I finish my work.
3. Do you go/will you go to the restaurant if they invite/will invite you?
4. We come/will come to see you when we are/we’ll be in England again.
5. When I see/will see you tomorrow I show/will show the catalogue.
6. Would you like something to drink before you go/will go?
7. It will be difficult to find a hotel if we arrive/will arrive late.
8. I’m going to Paris next month. While I’m /I’ll be there, I visit/will visit the international exhibition.
9. Don’t forget to give me your address. OK, I give/will give it to you before I go /will go.
10. If I don’t see/won’t see you tomorrow I phone/will phone you.
Задание 6. Раскройте скобки, используя глагол в Present Simple или Future Simple
1. I’ll try to be on time for the talks but don’t worry if I (be) late.
2. Ann (be) surprised when she (find out) the price.
3. I don’t know how to use this equipment. OK, I (show) you.
4. You can sign the contract if you (be) happy with conditions.
5. Don’t throw the price list away. You will never know when you (need) it again.
6. What time the train (leave) tomorrow?
7. I (meet) you outside the hotel in half an hour.
8. Please, report to the reception when you (arrive) at the hotel.
9. Don’t phone me unless it (be) something important.
10. I think Jane (get) the job, she has a lot of experience.
Задание 7. Закончите предложения, используя сравнительную степень прилагательных и наречий
1. The hotels in London are (expensive) than the hotels in New York.
2. Your work is not very good. I’m sure you can do (good).
3. The equipment often breaks down. I'd like to have (reliable) one.
4. We wanted to arrive at the station (early) not to miss the train.
5. We were (busy) than usual at work today.
6. It takes (long) to get to the plant by car than by train.
7. The goods were (bad) than we expected.
8. Your instructions are very difficult. Could they be (simple)?
9. Let me know if you have any (far) information.
10. The latest model is (easy) to operate than the previous one.
Задание 8. Закончите предложения, используя превосходную степень прилагательных
1. We had lunch at the (cheapest) restaurant in the city.
2. Mrs. White is a really nice person – one of (nice) people I know.
3. He always comes to see me at (bad) possible moment.
4. This is (interesting) offer that we have ever had.
5. He is the (reliable) customer we have ever done business with.
6. It's (good) coffee I have ever tasted.
7. What’s (quick) way of getting from here to the exhibition?
8. He is one of (rich) businessmen in the world.
9. What is (popular) product of this company?
10. I prefer this chair to the others. It’s (comfortable).
Задание 9. Письменно переведите текст.
The role of marketing in business
Buying, selling, market research, transportation, storage and advertising are parts of marketing. Marketing means the movement of goods and services from a manufacturer to a customer. Marketing includes 4 main elements - product, price, promotion and place. The product is the goods and services that are bought and sold. The price means the cost of goods and services. Promotion is the process of informing customers about products and persuading them to buy these goods. And the place means the location where the goods are available. Successful marketing involves many things. The first thing is good, creative advertising campaign, which attracts attention of customers to the products. The second thing is good marketing communication. The third is customer operation. The company should produce what customers want, when they want it, at the right price and in a way that is profitable for the company. Market research helps producers to predict what people will want. Companies can carry out survey to know the profile of potential customers. The role of marketing in business is very important. Successful marketing means the increase of profit for a company and further growth of internal and external markets.
Задание 10. Ответьте на вопросы по тесту.
1. What does marketing mean?
2. What does marketing include?
3. What is the product?
4. What is the price?
5. What is promotion?
6. What is the place?
7. What does successful marketing include?
8. Why is it necessary to carry out market research?
9. What is the role of marketing?
Задание 11. Заполните пропуски, подобрав подходящее по смыслу слово.
1. Before starting to sell abroad you should carry out market …
a) survey b) promotion c) price
2. Let’s make an appointment for Monday. It is … for me.
a) comfortable b) competitive c) convenient
3. …. sell goods to the general public in small quantities.
a) retailers b)wholesalers c) manufacturers
4. Another name for external market is … market.
a) domestic b) overseas c) home
5. We agree to buy your goods at this price, it is …. to us.
a) high b) increased c) acceptable
6. The sellers promised to … the goods on time.
a) produce b) dispatch c) settle
7. We will try to … the delivery dates.
a) meet b) match c) wait
8. I will phone you later and give my final…
a) answer b) reply c) message
9. Our parent company is large, it has many …. abroad.
a) competitors b) departments c) subsidiaries
10. The first … of goods will be delivered in November.
a) party b) lot c) match